Mon, 18 Jan 2021 10:50:58 GMT
Keep reading to discover how window tinting films impact the amount of light allowed regarding the auto window tint law in California.
In California, the auto window tint law allows for a window tint darkness of 70% VLT for the front windshield. These rules for window filming applies to all commercial and passenger vehicles on California roadways. Windshields are also allowed to a 4-5 inch transparent strip at the top of the windshield. Moreover, front side windows follow the same 70% VLT guidelines as a windshield does while rear glass and side windows are permitted to be any darkness.
Let’s learn some more about California’s auto window tint law:
- Window Tint Reflection: There are certain brands of tinting film that reflect incoming light, which further reduces heat and glare. The auto window tint law in California doesn’t permit the usage of window tint that is designed with more reflection than a typical window.
- Restricted Tint Colors in California: The California automotive window tint law states that amber or red window tint film is not allowed on front windshields. Additionally, they do not allow any type of coloring or altering the color of window tint on other windows.
- Side Mirrors: California’s automotive tint law says that if your rear glass is tinted, your vehicle is required to have dual side mirrors.
- Window Tint Certificate: In the state of California, the auto window tint law dictates that drivers need a certificate signed and validated by the window film installation company. DIY installations are possible; however, a certificate from the manufacturer that displays the VLT percentage is necessary to be in compliance with California’s auto window tint law. Furthermore, many vehicles without a certificate for window tinting cannot be sold in the state, or across state lines.
- Medical Exemptions: In September of 2017, the state of California passed Bill No.1303, which allowed California drivers with medical conditions to apply for window tinting exceptions. This automotive tint law grants disabled drivers the right to install colorless, transparent, and clear window film on any window.
Where to Buy Certified Window Tint?
Burbank Window Tint is the most recommended window film supplier and installer for home and automotive window tinting. For more information about our high-quality window films for residential and commercial home and automotive applications, call us today at (818) 626-5883 or fill out our online contact form.